Col d’Orcia is one of Montalcino’s most historic wineries. The estate’s modern-day lineage dates back to the year 1890, when records show the Franceschi family of Florence purchased the property, then known as Fattoria di Sant’Angelo in Colle. In 1933, Fattoria di Sant’Angelo in Colle presented its Brunello at the Wine Exhibition of Siena.. Brothers Leopoldo and Stefano Franceschi inherited the property and subsequently divided their holdings in 1958. The terms of the separation prohibited the brothers from using the existing Fattoria di Sant’Angelo in Colle name. Stefano Franceschi named his farm Col d’Orcia (hill above the river Orcia). With no heirs, he decided to sell his property to the Cinzano family of Piedmont in 1973. The Cinzano family has been active in the wine and spirits business for many generations. They used their extensive sales network to distribute the early vintages of Col d’Orcia, contributing to the fame and recognition of Brunello on the world markets. Under the leadership of Count Alberto Marone Cinzano, plantings reached 70 hectares by the early 1980s. In 1992, Marone Cinzano’s son Francesco took over and continued to increase plantings to the current level of 140 hectares, making Col d’Orcia the third largest owner of Brunello vineyards. Since August 27, 2010 the whole estate including vineyards, olive groves, other fields and even the gardens are farmed following exclusively organic agricultural practices. With this certification, Col d’Orcia will become the largest organic wine producing estate in the whole of Tuscany.